10 years ago
* Graham County Commissioners have approved plans for a nine-member Economic Development Commission, to lure new industry to the county and help existing industries. County Planner Josh Carpenter spearheaded the formation of the new commission and said his goal is to diversify the makeup of the county’s business and industry. One of the main incentives would be property tax reduction for new industries for six years. Carpenter said the new board will make recommendations to the county commission for final approval.
* The team of Casey Whitehead and John Cochran won first place in the Santeetlah Fall Bass Classic, sponsored by the Graham County Heritage Festival Committee and supported by local businesses. They had a combined catch weight of 8.80 pounds. The pair also won the biggest fish category with a 2.60-pound bass.
25 years ago
*Local rescue personnel were called out to assist a victim injured in a fall. Rescuers were called to the Yellow Creek Community around 8 p.m. to assist C. L. Griggs, age 60, who had fallen and injured himself in the woods behind his home. Griggs – who had a two-way radio with him – managed to call rescuers and direct them to him. He had tripped on a barbed wire fence and fallen in or near a small stream and could not get up.
* Robbinsville was unable to hold off the Andrews Wildcats, falling 34-0 on the road. Andrews scored first on a 6-yard pass play in the first quarter and then with 5:26 left in the half, on a 1-yard plunge by Jason Bateman, to end the half at 14-0. In the third quarter, the Wildcats scored 20 points in a half-minute span to put the game out of reach, 34-0.
50 years ago
* A Graham Star for this week could not be located.
– Angie Davis and Diane West